Monday, May 24, 2010

Nev's 1969 T 120

.



A few weeks ago i ask Nev to tell me more about his fabulous 1969 T120 Triumph and i share with you today what he send me. Enjoy
Frank

Neville Fisher is from Gonubie, East London, South Africa

1969 FRP TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 650cc T120






I bought this motorcycle back in 1973 when I was 18 years old and almost immediately turned it into a Cafe Racer. It was my only means of transport for some years and for many years thereafter it remained my favourite ride. It’s been around so long its like part of the family.
In 1981 I decided to go racing and due to my lack of financial resources to buy a new Ducati Pantah at the time, I race prepped the old Bonnie. On my 1st outing I was in 6th position overall in a national F1 Unlimited and F2 750 race in Pietermaritzburg until I crashed out during the 6th lap. The next race in East London saw me crash again on the final lap after consolidating 2nd place in the F2 750 class. The machine was already a classic back in 81 and it raised a few eyebrows.


The circuit in Pietermaritzburg closed down and I couldn’t afford the travel costs so my racing career was “placed on hold” until I moved to East London in 1995. During this interim period I used the Bonnie as a Cafe Racer on the road. With a top speed of 135 mph (220 k/hr) @ 8000 rpm on 20/46 final drive sprocket ratios I had a lot of fun “blowing off” “750 fours” and even a Honda 900F on a freeway on one occasion. After all it had been faster than a few 80’s 1000cc bikes on the race track.
Towards the end of 1996 when I decided to race again I entered an “unlimited superbike” class endurance race in Port Elizabeth and finished 3rd overall much to my own amazement. It generated so much interest among the classic bike community there that we got a classic racing series going between two regions for the following year. In 1997 I won the “East Cape and Border” Regional/Provincial Classic Championship series and ended up 2nd overall in the regions on points with the bonnie. No crashes that year but on the limit all the time.


Modifications were; 11:1 racing pistons, ported and flowed cylinder head with 32mm Mk2 Amal carbs, Tomasselli Quick Action twist grip and 1 5/8” 2 into 1 exhaust. Tappets / rockers lightened and end float springs replaced with bronze spacers to reduce drag. S&W racing valve springs, alu-bronze guides and Black Diamond Valves from California. Original Bonneville cams with lightened gears were carefully “degreed” for precise valve timing. It runs on 102 octane racing fuel or 100 Avgas.
In race trim the crank case was sealed off into the primary case and the clutch was run as a dry clutch with the standard duplex chain. This eliminated clutch slipping problems due to the higher engine hp output. A Teflon chain adjuster / slider was made and chain lube was sprayed onto the primary chain between races. An additional crankcase breather was fitted to the timing plug behind the cylinder block. Both breathers breathed into a breather bottle.


For racing it was run with no alternator so that the Lucas Rita ignition ran on a total loss system off the battery mounted in the ally seat tail piece. To improve handling, higher preload front fork springs with 2 coils less were fitted with a front fork brace, adjustable shock type steering damper, a brace tube in the rear sub frame and Girling gas rear shocks. Akront WM4 x 18” alloy front and rear rims with 8 gauge spokes allow 110/18 and 130/18 tires respectively.
All unnecessary bits of steel for main stand etc were removed and steel brackets and stays were replaced with alloy to reduce weight. A Ducati 900SS fairing was fitted to improve aerodynamics at high speed with a foam chin pad on the tank for comfort.


This “Wee Bonnie Lass” has been well used and completely rebuilt on two previous occasions. It is set for its 3rd refit early in 2011. The plan is to make it even more lean and radical but I’ll be careful to maintain and enhance the “old school” classic appeal.

All Photos by www.stevefisher.com

A video clip shot on the East London Grand Prix Circuit with cool sound.





.

No comments: