Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Purdy & Sons Boat Company

.





A few days ago Cris send me this amazing story and links about the Aphrodite and the Purdy & Sons yacht. Take time to go thru the links as its a must see for all the great classic yacht lovers.
Tank you Cris

Frank!
Nice job as always with the blog. Your post on the Amiral reminded me of a couple books I have that you should definitely seek out on a company called Purdy and Sons. They were based on Long Island in the early part of the 1900s and built boats for many of the wealthy and famous personalities
of the time.

They constructed what is considered one of the most beautiful yachts ever,
the commuter Aphrodite: www.brooklinboatyard.com/aphrodite

Yachts in a Hurry is rare and unfortunately expensive. It focuses on
Purdy's yachts and cruisers: www.abaa.org/books
I will grab this book next time I am at my parents' house and scan some pictures for you.

Boats by Purdy is more of a general history of the boat yard, detailing everything they did, from race boats to commuters to glass-bottomed tour boats. www.armchairsailorseattle.com/boatsbypurdy

Best regards,

Cris





.

No comments: