Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tom's 1961 XLCH Sportster

.






The basics: this is an 883cc iron-head Sportster--the designation XL means Sportster, CH means the factory high performance ("Competition Hot") version, with magneto ignition, no battery (lights direct off a 6v. generator), high compression domed pistons, and high-performance "P" cams (think "Q" cams in a Triumph of the era). These machines were raw, noisy, notoriously hard to start, and wicked fast for their day. I got the bike as a "basket case", with parts in cardboard boxes and a frame outdoors in a patch of weeds. I spent about a year chasing parts and assembling the bike. The rear fender and taillight are rare '54 KH parts, the pipes are XLR factory racing parts, and the seat I "borrowed" off my shovelhead bobber while its engine was being overhauled. The fat universal-tread tires gave a little extra "cush" over potholes, jumping curbs, and blasting dirt roads and trails.
Alas, I had to make a choice--I rode the Sporty for a couple of months in 1972, then sold it to complete repairs on my big twin. I do smile whenever I think about the retro "bobber" look--it used to be "form follows function", not the other way 'round.

Tom Sappington





.

No comments: