Friday, February 17, 2023

Mountain Boots








For as long as I can remember, I have always been fascinated by Himalayan expeditions. Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal at the Annapurna, Nicolas Jaeger at the Everest, René Desmaison at the Jannu, Yannick Seigneur at the Nanga Parbat or Lionel Terray at the Makalu, all these names made me dream and still continue today. The love I have for mountain boots surely comes from those television shows or those books that I have read for years and even if today technology makes lighter and more technical shoes possible, the good old leather shoes remain my favorites.

Maurice Herzog Camp II on the Annapurna North Glacier

Pierre Mazeaud, Jean Afanassieff smoking a cigarette and the doctor Nicolas Jaeger on the right, Everest 1978

René Desmaison and Paul Keller, Jannu 1962

Yannick Seigneur photographed by Bernard Mellet at the summit of Makalu on May 23, 1971

Lionel Terray Huntington 1964











No comments: